Thursday, February 23, 2012

Singapore: PS Cafe






In the quiet area known as Dempsey lies a hidden oasis inside the bustle of the city.  PS Cafe had gotten rave reviews on most of the journals I researched, and after stomping around the city streets, I welcomed the opportunity for a brief respite in the foliage.  As the taxi progressed along the winding streets, the skyscrapers became a distant memory.  The first thing I noticed as I opened the door was the intoxicating and unmistakable scent of truffle.  I didn't know where it was on the menu, but I knew I was going to get it.  The second thing I noticed was the dizzying display of cakes on the bar.  About 10 different varieties.  Each homemade, and all looked delicious.  Good thing it was only lunch as I might resist the temptation.  The weather was lovely, so we selected a table outside in the shade.  Inspired by the temperature, we ordered a some suitable cocktails; a Ginger Margarita for me while my friend selected a green apple mojito  Gazing at the menu, it seemed the truffle fries were likely the culprit I'd detected at the door.  Done.  But as one cannot live on french fries alone, I continued my search.  While the cuisine is distinctly western, PS incorporates the local ingredients to create something with a little…. je ne sais quoi.  I selected a spicy shrimp salad; my companion went with the croque monsieur.  Then we kicked back to enjoy the ambiance.  The fries appeared first, their arrival heralded by that amazing aroma.  Piled high in delicate matchsticks, they were perfectly cooked and lightly infused with truffle.  I knew resisting the entire pile would be a significant personal accomplishment.  Fortunately my salad was not far behind.  And it was their perfect counter balance to the street food and other goodies.  Fresh shrimp…. fresh local veggies… limes… chili…. sigh.  My friend's croque blew standard bistro fare out of the water.  Noticeably quality ham.  The obligatory cheese was a layer of top quality Gruyère caramelized on top as opposed to a horrid all encompassing blanket of deli swiss.  Even I was impressed.  We had a leisurely lunch on peninsula time, enjoying a perfect afternoon.  And while we did eschew dessert, we caved for another round of drinks.  In this climate, how can you not???

No comments:

Post a Comment